Monday, December 2, 2013

Todd English's Boned, Rolled & Tied Turkey: Martha Stewart Living TV

Hi Martha. Nice chatting with you yesterday. 

I've made Boned Rolled and Tied Turkey several times since Todd English appeared on Martha Stewart's show in 2000. I don't know how Martha maintained filming with him. Watch the video on the right side of the page or google him. You'll see why. He made it look so easy.
All you do is remove all of the bones from a turkey (like the last scene in the movie Julie and Julia) and stuff it with a ground turkey/pork meatloaf mix and roll it up like a jelly roll. Pop it in the oven the next day. It's so easy to slice and serve. No one has to carve the bird. Love that. Here's MSLOmnimedia's photo.
The first step is to have the meat guy from Lund's come over to your house to sharpen your knives. Set up your work area. That's a flattened garbage bag for easy clean up.
Get a smaller (12-14 lb) unbrined natural turkey.
Remove the giblets and start your stock. Dry the turkey with paper towels. Remove the wing tips and add to stock.
See the iPad above? Have that handy so you can watch Todd English's video over and over. 
First you cut down the backbone.  Warning: this gets gruesome.
Work around main carcass with a sharp boning knife until it's free. Freeze and give to mom so she can make soup.
Remove the breast bone. With the knife tip, score the drumstick skin along the bone.
Remove the leg and thigh bones, keeping meat intact. Throw those into your simmering stock pot.
Grab sinews and silver skin with paper towels and use your knife tip to remove.
Use your finger tips to feel for anything that is yucky and cut that out. It's like putting in your hands in a bowl of yucky stuff in a Haunted House.
Brine in 12 cups cold ice water mixed with 3/4 cups salt for three hours in the fridge. Since the meat is exposed to the water I would not do overnight like other brine recipes.
Make the meatloaf stuffing. Instead of fresh herbs I used 1 - 1/2 TBSP Penzeys Bavarian Seasoning in the meatloaf mix. 
There is mustard in the seasoning mix but I still added some dry.
After 3 hours, drain and dry the turkey with a million paper towels.
Lay dried meat on butcher paper-well next time I hope to have some. A bag worked for me-it helps when you roll it up. You will have to make this flatter by butterflying the breast meat. That means slicing and flopping over meat like the pages of a book to fill in empty spots. You can also gently pound with a meat mallet to flatten. Now that I look at the photo below I think I didn't lay this out quite right. I think the leg meat should be below the breast meat…oh well-next time.
Season with 1/2 TBSP more of the Bavarian mix and salt and pepper. Do a final check for bone-y bits.
Plop on the meatloaf. This is only half of it…it got really full.
Roll it up like a cake roll. Use skewers temporarly to hold it in place while you tie the strings. Making slip knots with an extra loop holds knots in place better. End to end this was about 30 inches long. Refer to Martha's video--was the thigh meat on the ends? I think that is why it got so long.
If I were Martha Stewart, I'd have a special pan made so I wouldn't have to arc it to fit in the pan.
Flop upside-down to hid the messes. Looks like an icky worm you'd find under a rock in your garden!
It's now 10 pm. I started about 5pm. The boning took under an hour (much faster than the hour and 45 minutes it took with dull knives in 2004. Hope the video footage my husband took that year has been deleted. 
 There was no meltdown like before and unlike Julie, no one called to buy my blog or offer me a book deal.

Pop it into the fridge overnight. Pic below is from another year. Looks like I didn't use a rack to elevate. I believe that was Martha Stewart brand twine. 
The next day, remove from fridge one hour before baking to remove some of the chill. I baked it using the convection oven at 350˚. My notes say that I put it in the oven at 10:15 and removed at 12:35. Maple Syrup was drizzled over the top when the internal temp was 150˚. Remove from oven at 165˚.
Let rest, remove the strings and serve. Turned out more blob-like than roll-like. But tasted great!
PS here's one from 2002.
And another year.
PS If you don't want to attempt, just make the meatloaf on a weeknight. I do that and ALL CHILDREN will eat it! Just smash the sauted onions to bits (or use onion powder) so they can't tell they are in there. I used dry panko for the bread crumbs. For a weeknight, skip the half & half cream and use milk.

1 comment:

  1. So much carnage and then fabulousness....well documented!

    ReplyDelete