Monday, February 18, 2013

Icing on the Apron

After eating some heavenly cake, 
Mom gave me this 1945 brochure to take home.

I don't normally publish recipes, but if the cookbook is out of print, I'll make an exception.

Here is the frosting recipe that my sister sent to me:

I discovered a new white fluffy frosting recipe in an old version of Joy of Cooking. I’ve made it twice so far and it’s just great. Better than the filling on the inside of a twinkie. It even stays soft for days and doesn’t get crusty like 7 minute frosting. Gotta have a candy thermometer. It’s fairly quick recipe and super yummy!

In a heavy pan, stir till dissolved:
½ cup water
¼ t cream of tartar
1 cup sugar

When boiling, cover and cook 3 minutes. Uncover and cook till 238-240 degrees (soft ball stage).

In an aluminum bowl, beat 3 egg whites till fluffy, about 5 minutes. While beating constantly, very gradually pour in the hot sugar mixture. The hot sugar will cook the egg whites. Beat until cool and ready to spread.

Normally I would suggest using the Kitchenaid mixer since you have to beat the eggs so long, but the bowl my mixer had was too pointy, and the 1 mixer attachment wasn’t good enough to mix in the molten sugar water and some of the molten sugar went straight to the bottom and didn’t mix into the meringue. I recommend using a regular hand mixer with 2 beaters and slowly dribbling the hot sugar water on or near the beaters. I had to do it slowly as my wrist got tired from holding the pan while pouring the hot stuff. Works best with 2 people – one to dribble and one to mix. To frost cupcakes, I just dunked them right in the frosting and made curlycues. 

Give it a try! -Sally






1 comment:

  1. I lost a good friend a couple of years ago and one of her favorite childhood memories was the birthday cake her mother would make her every year which was a chocolate cake with a silky whipped cream type frosting. This cake made me smile. I bet this was the one. Love your blog. I'm so sorry that I didn't know you were blogging. I'll definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete